Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Meals 3/27/2015 to 3/29/15

My first week!

Here was the plan (Luteal phase):

Fri 3/27/15
Breakfast: Sweet potato with cottage cheese and rasins
Lunch: Lettuce wrap beef and brown rice tacos with turnip homefries
Snack: Hummus and rice crackers
Dinner: Cauliflower pizza

Sat 3/28/15
Breakfast: Sweet potato with cottage cheese and rasins
Lunch: Mini meatloafs and roasted parsnip
Snack: hummus and rice crackers
Dinner: Spinach salad with cucumber

Sun 3/29/15
Breakfast: Baked eggs in avocado
Lunch: Sweet potato pumpkin leek soup and broiled sesame cod
Snack: Green apple and almond butter
Dinner: Broccoli bites

So how did it go?

Day One:

I like sweet potatoes and I like cottage cheese and I like raisins, yet somehow this combination was disgusting. Perhaps it was the heat of the potato against the cold of the cheese that I didn't like. I don't know. But it meant that I pushed up the avocado breakfast by a day because I was not going to eat the sweet potato one again.

The tacos with romaine lettuce instead of a shell was delicious. I liked that a lot. I wasn't even missing the shell part at all. I put some brown rice in (I always disliked brown rice before but it turns out I wasn't cooking it right. Have to put in twice as much water and twice the cooking time of white rice!). I seasoned beef with taco seasoning and then I put shredded cheese on top. An excellent meal.

Brown rice redeems itself
For the snack, for some reason I couldn't find rice crackers at the store. So I got seed crackers from the gluten free section instead. They are really good! I ate them with hummus and cucumber and it was the perfect snack.

(I was at work over snack and dinner time so I packed one of my bento "laptop lunch boxes" I love these things! The mix and match inner containers fit into an outer lunch box shell.

Dinner was pizza made with pureed cauliflower as the crust. This is something I had seen on Pinterest for a while and I wanted to try it. I'm not sure how I like this. First off, I accidentally left the egg out so that may change my results significantly and I'll have to try it again. I also really need a new food processor because mine broke and I used our little blender for this. Not ideal!


It was soggier than it should have been (so hard to get all the water out!) and it tasted odd but not terrible. Definitely want to try again with the egg in the recipe.

Day Two:

Went for the baked avocado and I hated that too! I love avocado. And I love eggs. And look how gorgeous it turned out!

What should have been the perfect breakfast!
Yet it was awful. Maybe I should have used Haas instead. Florida avocados may be too sweet for this recipe. But I'm not willing to waste expensive avocado to try again.

Lunch was mini meatloafs which are an old stand-by in our house. I don't even remember where I got the recipe anymore. You just take beef, an egg, some breadcrumbs, and chopped onion and green bell pepper. Mix together and add to muffin tin. Bake until done and eat with ketchup. They are cute and yummy! This time to extend our beef I put grated carrot in as well and I used crushed gram crackers for the bread crumbs. Both added a sweetness that enhanced the meal. My husband and I both loved the update.

I roasted parsnips but then I was reading that parsnip may be just as starchy as regular potato so I don't know if it's the best choice.

Dinner was super simple (my husband ate the lunch meal for dinner, of course). I had leaf spinach with veggies and olive oil as dressing.

Day Three:

Having no more plans for breakfast ideas, I ate leftover mini meatloafs.

For lunch we had soup and fish. The soup was really good. Again I need a food processor! Unfortunately I discovered that I don't like cod very much. Even just the smell of it cooking was off-putting to me. My husband loved the meal but I don't think I'll be doing sesame crusted cod again.


Dinner was a similar situation. I made these cheesy broccoli fritters and my husband liked them while I didn't. They also had breadcrumbs which kind of ruined the "avoid carbs at dinner" rule. 

***

Sunday I planned and grocery shopped and started a new meal plan for Monday. More on those meals next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment