Saturday, May 9, 2015

Where in the Grocery Store Can I Find Nutritional Yeast?

I needed a weird sounding product for some of my vegan meals: Nutritional Yeast.

Even though that sounds pretty unappetizing what it actually is is a cheesy tasting flake that is fortified with B-12 (a difficult vitamin for vegans to get naturally). I used it in the amazing roasted red pepper sauce and also as a coating for kale chips. I look forward to using it on popcorn.

The trouble is, though, it can be tough to find.

My grocery store doesn't carry it (even though they have been expanding their health food options a ton). Amazon has it for $8-something. But I did some research and found out that Wegman's has it for $5-something.

So I headed out to Wegman's.

Finding it was a whole other matter. I wandered around that store for a while. Then I googled where in the grocery store can I find nutritional yeast and got a yahoo answer that grocery stores don't have it. Sigh. Yahoo answers, when have you ever been helpful?

Finally I found something that said it would be in the nutritional section of the pharmacy area near protein shakes. I went there and still didn't find it. Someone there directed me to someone else who took me to the baking aisle and I finally saw it on the top shelf in a little canister. Red Star nutritional yeast.

It is my hope that others who are trying to find this product will be able to see my answer when they are standing in Wegman's Googling!

No comments:

Post a Comment