Monday, July 13, 2015

DIY Larabars Review

I love DIY and from-scratch recipes. If someone tells me I can make mayonaise myself or english muffins myself, I want to do it. So I was excited when I found DIY recipes for Larabars on Pinterest.

Larabars are delicious and healthy date, nut, and fruit bars. I happily bought my ingredients and made my Larabars. It worked out great.

But I started thinking about something. Dates are expensive. Nuts are expensive. Was I saving money making them myself?

The woman who I got the recipe from said that Larabars are about $2 each where she lives and her whole family loves them. She feels like she is saving money making them herself. I doubt she is unless she gets a great deal on those dates and nuts.

At my Weis grocery store Larabars are usually on sale for $1 each, sometimes $1.39. And there are coupons for them. I find 40 cent off coupons pretty frequently, which double at my store.

So I'm usually paying about 20 cents for a Larabar. That's way, way, way cheaper than buying the ingredients and making them myself!

Plus the real bars don't have any scary ingredients that you'd want to avoid by making your own. My conclusion is that this is one snack item you should just go ahead and buy!

No comments:

Post a Comment